POINTS® Value: 3
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
In addition to being a great side dish for chicken or fish, this combo of feta, chickpeas, sautéed scallions and spaghetti squash also makes a fantastic vegetarian main course.
* 2 pound(s) raw spaghetti squash
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1/2 cup(s) scallion(s), sliced
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 cup(s) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
* 1/4 tsp table salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/4 cup(s) dill, or mint, fresh, chopped
* 1/4 cup(s) pot cheese, or fat-free crumbled feta
* Pierce squash with a fork in several places; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high, turning squash over every 3 minutes, until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. (Or to bake squash, preheat oven to 350ºF. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.)
* Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, chickpeas, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper; increase heat to high and bring to a slow boil.
* Using a fork, scrape strands of squash into skillet with tomato-chickpea mixture. Cook, stirring, until squash strands are well coated; remove from heat and stir in dill or mint. Top each serving with cheese. Yields about 1 cup of squash mixture and 1 tablespoon of cheese per serving.
* Add a dash of red pepper flakes for an extra kick.