Kathleen - First, congratulations on the 150 lbs you lost!
I was actually totally average/normal whatever you want to call it as a child. Had some challenges (minor) in high school, but related to a move in schools. In fact, I had stayed thin throughout my twenties as well. The problems started in my 30's and battling severe depression. I found that if I have a picture taken that I can see my 'real' size. It is very bizarre and the other day I didn't recognize myself in a picture. Like you said, I might never get over it.
Your comments on vanity sizing were so interesting that I am going to post them here...
You're friend is right and there is no such thing as vanity sizing. In a nutshell, designers size their garments to their demography. Contrary to popular opinion, wealthy people are thinner. Therefore, expensive designer apparel is sized smaller ("true to size") than inexpensive items. Even a designer sizes differently according to each of their labels. Ex, Ralph Lauren puts out 7 different lines, each priced to a different demography. His high end purple label is sized at least two sizes smaller than his lowest end line of tees and hoodies. There's more info here if you're interested.
There's links at close to more entries in the series. Btw, I'm a pattern maker in the apparel industry but I'm no apologist, the industry is guilty of many sins but vanity sizing isn't one of them.
First, I've never *met* a pattern maker. That is seriously cool! The information you shared is extremely interesting! Thank-you for sharing it with me. I am going to check out the link you provided as well, but haven't had a chance to do so yet.
Yippeeee! A small loss, but still a loss. Wondering if it might have been a bit more considering my exercise for the week, but had sushi (look out soy sauce!) last night. Note to self: Having a salt-fest the night before you weigh in is probably not a good idea.
- Week 1 - 8/19 - 155.5 lbs - DOWN 3 lbs (My body was in shock. Let's be real. First week, I always see something)
- Week 2 - 8/26 - 156 lbs - UP .5 lb
- Week 3 - 9/2 - 155.5 lbs - DOWN .5 lb (notice same .5)
- Week 4 - 9/9 - 155.5 lbs - SAME (drastic measures called for. switch weigh in day.)
- Week 5 (Switch to Mondays) - 9/15 - 153 lbs - DOWN 2.5 lbs
- Week 6 - 9/22 - 151. 5 lbs - DOWN 2 lbs
- Week 7 - 9/29 - 147.5 lbs - DOWN 4 lbs
- Week 8 - 10/6 - 150.5 lbs - UP 3 lbs
- Week 9 - 10/13 - 146 lbs - DOWN 4.5 lbs
- Week 10 - 10/20 - 145.5 lbs - DOWN .5 lbs
I think this is a very good week for exercise!
- Mon - 80 mins
- Tues - 70 mins
- Wed - 70 mins
- Thurs - 70 mins
- Fri - 70 mins
- Sat - Komen 5K
- Sun - 110 mins - **OK, yes this is a little excessive. I did my normal workout and the football game was on. I figured rather than going home and putting my ass on the couch that I might as well just walk the treadmill on an incline. So that's what I did.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!