Thursday, October 16, 2008

Clothes...

Well, when I had regained this bit of weight - I had complained about my clothes not fitting. I now have the same frickin' problem! My clothes are now too big. I am still 3 lbs from my lowest weight since banding, but I'm smaller. All the working out is doing some magic!

This would not be so bad, but I'm between sizes it seems. An 8 is too big and for me a 6 is too tight. My friend totally disagrees and she says I wear my clothes too loose and that the 6 actually fits. With the economy the way it is, clothes are all on sale. I ended up getting 3 pairs of slacks (nice ones and size 6) for under 75 bucks.

Funny thing is that I don't feel that small, but I guess people are getting concerned that I am losing too much weight????? I'm tall (5'8") so I guess a 6 is pretty small, but I don't believe these are true size 6 pants. I think it is vanity sizing. My friend pointed out the pants are made by 3 different designers. I don't know. What is my deal?

I'm sure that people reading this might be thinking 'what the hell? get over yourself and shut the hell up'. But I guess I'm concerned. Concerned I don't see myself as I really am and need to figure out how to do that. I still look in the mirror and see a smaller version of the fat person I had become, but still fat. Sounds weird, but I am sure some people can relate to this.

I'm going to have to ponder all of this more. I've been feeling a lot of anxiety as well. Hell, I'm a mess. (Remember - my job also sucks.) Maybe I need to consider going to a counselor for a bit again. Or maybe, I am just stressed, anxious, and in a funk....

Gym: 70 mins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that people reading this might be thinking 'what the hell? get over yourself and shut the hell up'. But I guess I'm concerned. Concerned I don't see myself as I really am and need to figure out how to do that. I still look in the mirror and see a smaller version of the fat person I had become, but still fat. Sounds weird, but I am sure some people can relate to this.

I can totally relate to this. After losing 150 pounds, I had this same problem with being able to see myself as I am. Still do, it may never go away for you either. Were you obese from childhood? I was, maybe that's the difference. Btw, altho it's been over 25 years, I still wear my clothing too baggy.

I think it is vanity sizing. My friend pointed out the pants are made by 3 different designers.

~grin~
You're friend is right and there is no such thing as vanity sizing. In a nutshell, designers size their garments to their demography. Contrary to popular opinion, wealthy people are thinner. Therefore, expensive designer apparel is sized smaller ("true to size") than inexpensive items. Even a designer sizes differently according to each of their labels. Ex, Ralph Lauren puts out 7 different lines, each priced to a different demography. His high end purple label is sized at least two sizes smaller than his lowest end line of tees and hoodies. There's more info here if you're interested.

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/the_myth_of_vanity_sizing/

There's links at close to more entries in the series. Btw, I'm a pattern maker in the apparel industry but I'm no apologist, the industry is guilty of many sins but vanity sizing isn't one of them.