Monday, November 24, 2008

Rules for PB (Zena this is what I commented back to you)

Here's the rules I was provided with when you PB / vomit by my surgeon. As always, you should follow the guidance that your surgeon has provided to you, but I have found these very successful...
  • Some degree of vomiting or regurgitation may occur after you eat
  • This may indicate you are: eating too fast, trying to eat too much, not chewing your food adequately, or eating the wrong foods {addition by Fluffy: you are too tight. Being too tight is not good. You can read about it in my blog as well.}
  • Every person is different and some foods may give you problems and not others. Avoid those foods that give you problems
So what to do when/if it happens...
  • If you vomit solid food

    • Stay NPO (no food or liquid by mouth) for two hours
    • Do not force the issue and try to eat or drink again immediately {Addition by Fluffy - cause you will throw up again}
    • This may induce more vomiting. The more you vomit the more swelling that may occur across your band. This may lead to further obstruction. {Addition by Fluffy - and a whole lotta pain}
    • After two hours try solid food again {Addition by Fluffy - I actually try liquids first. If that goes OK, I try something soft. Then I progress to bandster food}

  • If you vomit again

    • Stay NPO (no food or liquid by mouth) for four hours
    • After four hours try water only
    • If you can tolerate water stay on clear liquids for 12 hours before trying solid food again.

  • If you can't tolerate clear liquids or water without vomiting notify the doctor immediately
  • Prolonged vomiting (more than 12 hours) is not normal - Call the doctor immediately
Additions by Fluffy - freaking out is normal. From what you saw on my most recent post on my worst experience ever, I still freak out after 3 years. Try and remember it is normal and try and remain calm. I've found that getting stressed actually makes the situation worse. One other trick - Try lying on your left side. Strange, but for some reason there have been quite a few times that it has helped. It also kinda calms me down. :-)

No comments: