Thursday, February 03, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Posole-ish Recipe

When it's cold, I like to make soups. Heck, I like to make them cause they are simple and nutritious. That's even kicked up a notch when I can make it in my slow cooker. Here's one I whipped up after reading various Posole recipes and making it easier and healthier. The amounts are approximate.
  • 1 rotisserie chicken (you can substitute canned chicken, but I find it salty and kinda tough. I buy a rotisserie chicken that doesn't have hormones, etc. and take all the chicken off and chop it up)
  • 1 can R0tel (the tomatoes with chilies) - I use hot, but it makes it really spicy, so you might want to stick with regular.
  • 2-3 cans chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • A half bag of frozen chopped onion, pepper, and celery mix (uh, yep I'm lazy)
  • A bag of frozen mixed veggies
  • 1 can hominy (don't drain---white or yellow whichever you prefer)
Put it all in your slow cooker. Depending on how quickly you need it and either cook it on low or high. Since the chicken is already cooked, you are really just trying to get everything hot and the flavors mixed together. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the supportive comments on the half. I'm falling a bit behind on my training with this whack-o weather, but I'm not stressing about it. I'll pick it back up when I can.

Lap Band Gal asked that I do a post on maintenance. I'll try to do one in the coming weeks after I get my thoughts together. I have made a few brief references to it in some posts in the meantime: Five Years Out , My Most Important Rules , WOOT , Maintaining

2 comments:

Justawallflower said...

That really sounds good. Think I'll try it next week. Thanks!

Nella said...

Yum yum, send me some baby!