Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wellness Goals - better late than never

So, I've been thinking that I should put together some goals for 2011. Hey, better late than never, right? I've come up with some rough ideas and thought I'd jot them down. I'll have to see if they make sense or not though....um, cause I haven't put a whole ton of thought into it, I've never set wellness goals really before since starting this journey, and they need to be S.M.A.R.T (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

Man, I'm also going to have to go back and figure out what I have done so far in 2011. Oh well, I'm leaving that for another day. Procrastination at its best!

2011 Wellness Goals

Boot camps. Goal: 200 camps. Stretch Goal: 240.
I'm not quite sure how many camps are offered in a year. I'm going to have to look at this one a bit closer. The goal is pretty much 5 days of camp a week when camp is offered---taking out a bit for vacation. The stretch is based on taking a couple extra camps a week and I've included it more in case of error in the base calculation. I don't want to make this sound complex, cause it's kind of pull it outta my butt approach, but I need some detail so I know how the hell I came up with it when in July I say "what the hell was I thinking?".

Training/Race Total Miles. Goal: 416 miles.  Stretch Goal: 520 miles.
The goal is calculated at 8 miles per week for the year. Then the stretch goal is calculated at 10 miles per week.

Half Marathon(s). Goal: 1. Stretch Goal: 2.
As I go on and on and oooonnn about, I am already doing one, but I am tossing around the idea of doing another. I'll talk about that though after I survive this first one.

5K or other races such as obstacle races. Goal: 3. Stretch Goal: 5.
My goal is probably too low here. I've already completed 1 5K. I've signed up for the Texas Chicken Run, and know I am going to do a 5K in August. I might have to up this one a bit. Oh, the chicken run - it's obstacles. I am going to be SCARED on some of them as I am not a fan of heights at all, but go look at the site. Check out the hat you get for doing it???? Yep, had to do it for the hat. (Plus a bunch of friends are doing it. Peer pressure anyone?)

Calorie Burn. Goal: 130,000 Stretch Goal: 150,000
This one may be one that I should toss out the window. It's 500 calories x 5 days a week x 52 weeks. The stretch goal....cause it was a cool number? I just picked it out of the air.

Notice something? No. Weight. Loss. Goal. First! Time! Ever!...I'm not even going to put in maintain my weight or anything weight related because hitting my wellness goals and eating well most of the time will ensure success. Hmmm, but maybe I should have a goal in there like: Make healthy choices most of the time? 90%? I don't know, I'll have to think on that. I think I'll just treat this like work --- see how I'm tracking mid-year and tweak as needed.

Other items:
  • The days off I had really made me fly on my run. I am a believer of tapering big time now. I got out there - supposed to do an easy 4 miles. Felt good and looked at my pace - wow, fast (for me). Finished the 4 and had so much gas left and since I hadn't worked out the two days before, jogged another easy one. It felt good.
  • Eating acknowledged and addressed. Slowing myself down and asking myself am I eating because I'm hungry? And some of the basic tools I've used along the way.
  • Overall stress seems to be down. Hmmm, could it be the working out and not eating crap? I vote yes.

2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

The Chicken Run looks TOO fun!

Angela said...

I have been thinking about doing the warrior dash or run or whatever it is called but right now I am too chicken. I totally believe in tapering. After my half I didn't really run for over two weeks. When I finally went back out there, I ran for 2 miles straight at a 12 min pace and could have kept going if my knee hadn't started hurting. My average training pace was 14 min and I walked ever 8 minutes. Felt soooo good! good luck with your half....is it next weekend?