Friday, August 10, 2012

Hydr0-Static!

Quite some time ago I moved away from weighing myself. I've relied on my clothes and measurements since, but I decided I needed something to give me a little "oomph". So, I decided I wanted to find out my overall body composition (body fat to lean mass). Hydr0static underwater weighing is considered to be the gold standard for determining body composition and I did it last week! I will repeat the test early September.

It's essentially a dunking in your swimsuit (gah!) and you have to blow all of your air out underwater. You don't blow it all out, then your body fat percentage will be higher. The first time I totally sucked and I said to the guy, "that was bad, huh?". He laughed and said "uh, yah, really bad". Eh, what can you do? I'm not really a big fan of being underwater. It's an average of 3 times, but he had me do it 4 because he said the first one was so off he wanted to throw it out.

There are a number of charts for "ideal" body fat percentages. On the ACE chart I'm considered "Athletes" and on Jackson & P0llock I'm "lean" (link). But I've set a goal to take a couple percentage points off (fingers crossed) with some minor modifications to what I'm eating for no other reason than "just 'cause" and to hopefully get over my underlying blahs. We'll see when I have it done again in September!

Next -shaking up my workouts...

5 comments:

Dawnya said...

That sounds really cool. Of course I would have drowned. You know how I feel about being under water. LOL

So you are changing up your eating habits...that means you will be sending me new recipes...right?!?! LOL

The Dandy Bandy said...

That's so stinkin cool! Where do you find that?

Lap Band Gal said...

Cool! I want to dunk too! Where did you dunk? what company? thanks

Rhonda said...

Might need a link to this place. Then again, I probably don't want to know.

Unknown said...

I got dunked earlier this year - the guy actually was a little put off by my weight loss surgery and I'm not sure if I'm willing to go back and see him again.